Turkey and Syria earthquake – level 3
Early Monday morning, a powerful 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit parts of Turkey and Syria. According to the US Geological Survey, the earthquake struck near the town of Gaziantep, Turkey, and it was 10 kilometers deep.
The earthquake toppled hundreds of buildings and killed thousands of people.
According to officials, thousands of children may be among the dead following the earthquake and aftershocks. Hundreds are still believed to be trapped under rubble, and the death toll is expected to rise. Local people and rescue workers spent the night searching for survivors in metal tangles and giant concrete piles.
Countries around the world are sending support to help the rescue efforts, including specialist teams, sniffer dogs and equipment. However, the earthquake caused significant damage to three airports across Turkey which created challenges for aid deliveries. Turkey is near several fault lines and is one of the world’s most active earthquake zones.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What was the magnitude of the earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.