Turkey fault line – level 2
A series of strong earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria last week. More than 22,000 people died, but many bodies were still under the rubble.
The first earthquake had a magnitude 7.8 and it caused a crack more than 300 kilometers long. The second strong earthquake had a magnitude 7.5 and it cracked another 140 kilometers. This crack is called a fault line, and it moved Turkey by almost six meters. In many places, the fault line goes directly through houses and roads.
A drone footage showed the front line in the Kahramanmaras province, where was the epicenter of the earthquake. The front line completely changed the land and towns.
Difficult words: rubble (pieces of walls or buildings), magnitude (a number which says how strong and earthquake is), epicenter (a place above the center of an earthquake).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What caused these earthquakes?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos