Turkey shoots down a Russian plane – level 2
A Turkish F-16 aircraft shot down a Russian warplane. The incident happened near the Syrian border.
Vladimir Putin said that the plane was not threatening Turkey and that it was doing its duty – fighting against the Islamic State.
A Turkish commander said that its military warned the warplane a few times before the military shot it down. The incident is now under investigation.
Difficult words: threaten (to put in danger), duty (something you must do), commander (a military officer).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this incident between Turkey and Russia?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.