Turtles and Plastic – level 2
Water deposits plastic waste from all over the world on Kenya’s beaches. That is a big problem for turtles as many of them eat the plastic because they think that it is jellyfish, and then they die.
A new report found that young turtles die more often than adults because of plastic. Moreover, when there are a lot of plastics on beaches, turtles cannot lay eggs. When the baby turtles hatch on beaches with plastics, they cannot get to the ocean.
Out of every 1,000 turtles hatched, only one grows into adulthood, according to the WWF.
Difficult words: deposit (move to a place), hatch (come out of its egg), WWF (an organisation which tries to protect animals and nature).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos