Turtles are saved – level 3
More than four thousand endangered turtles have been rescued in the Philippines. The Philippine forest turtles, believed to be bound for the illegal pet trade in China, were found in a warehouse on Palawan Island. The creatures had been stuffed inside crates when an animal conservation group came to their rescue.
“They were transported to the south, kept in warehouses and in very, very poor condition and were awaiting shipment to, most probably, to China for the pet trade, as it looks.
They are in terrible conditions. They were kept for quite a while.”
At least 90 turtles were found dead and a thousand had to be treated at the nature park. The group said they’d be released back to their natural habitat once they were healthy enough, but warned that illegal smuggling was on the rise.
“The trade has increased, and it’s easier to get these guys because there are so many. There is a high demand, mainly from east China countries for pet trade mainly, but there is also food trade and traditional Chinese medicine.”
The turtles can sell for at least £200 on the underground market in China, while some illegal traders are able to sell them to western countries for as much as £1,500.
Difficult words: bound for (moving somewhere, meant for something), crate (box), habitat (a place where an animal lives), smuggle (to move something illegally), on the rise (increasing), guy (a general term for many things).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.