Turtles in Mexico – level 3
Around 300 sea turtles died from asphyxiation or toxic algae after getting entangled in an illegal fishing net off Mexico’s southern Pacific coast. The turtles, of a species in danger of extinction, were buried in sand on a beach.
An official said that the fishermen told them that the fishing net was local, adding that it could have been abandoned by a tuna fishing ship without reporting it was lost.
Who set the illegal 120-metre net is being investigated and the guilty ones can face criminal charges.
Difficult words: asphyxiation (death by not having oxygen), toxic algae (a simple water plant which produces toxins), entangled (caught), species (a kind of animal), extinction (dying out), abandon (leave behind).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos