TV Education – level 2
Companies that make television (TV) shows are turning real-life stories into dramatizations. People are very interested in them. Many the shows are teaching them about something brutal or sad instead of entertaining them.
In the 1970s, people took a difficult real event and turned it into a TV show. There was a show called “Roots” that was about American slavery.
A TV director said that “Roots” showed people how terrible slavery was. It made them think about their ideas about other people. Other shows are doing this now, as people want to find out more about unsolved crimes.
Many of these shows about real life are winning awards, and more TV companies want to make them.
Difficult words: dramatization (when someone turns a real event into a story), brutal (violent, difficult to watch), roots (the background of where a person comes from).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos