Twelve people in a tunnel – level 2
An accident happened in northeast China. A railway tunnel was under construction when it collapsed. The reason for the collapse is not known.
The tunnel trapped twelve workers. People rescued them after 63 long hours. All of the workers were conscious but they were carried out. Some of them could even walk. They were taken to hospital. The ambulances waited outside.
Difficult words: to trap (to keep something in one place), rescue (save), conscious (awake and active).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How do you feel in a tunnel?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos