Two bears meet – level 3
A zoo in Cheshire has welcomed Bernardo the bear, who’s arrived from the USA.
The four-year-old spectacled bear has moved into Chester Zoo after flying in from Tulsa Zoo in Oklahoma and is being introduced to his new female friend Franka.
It’s rare that zoo animals move between Europe and the USA, so Bernardo’s arrival brings important new blood to the European population of spectacled bears, a species vulnerable to extinction in the wild.
Bernardo’s said to be a very kind and calm young male, and zoo staff are hoping him and Franka will be a match made in heaven, and produce little cubs in the future.
The young bear looks like he’s enjoying spending time exploring his new home, with both he and Franka finding ways of getting to know each other, even if it involves a little bit of rough and tumble.
The zoo is hoping to work closely with Bernardo and learn new things to help ensure the bears’ long-term survival.
Difficult words: spectacled (the animals has markings on the face which look like spectacles or glasses), cub (baby bear), vulnerable (something vulnerable can be hurt easily), rough and tumble (situation without rules).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.