Two Elephants Are Killed – level 3
After passing through a tea plantation in Darjeeling, India, two elephants struck a high-voltage wire which electrocuted and killed them. Crowds gathered around the corpses of the large mammals who lay on the ground side by side. Many locals adorned the dead elephants’ bodies with flowers as a mark of respect. People will conduct a post-mortem examination to confirm the exact cause of death.
Local media reported that the elephants were part of a herd of 30 passing through the plantation. Increased human population and inhabitation of land in India caused the depletion of the elephant’s natural habitat, which often forces wildlife to stray into agricultural areas. Locals paid their final respects mourning the loss of two of the revered animals.
Difficult words: electrocute (kill by an electric shock), gather (meet in large numbers), adorn (make more beautiful), post-mortem (after death), inhabitation (the act of inhabiting a place – living there), depletion (a reduction), stray (move without knowing where you are going), revere (feel deep respect for).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos