Two hundred years after the Battle of Waterloo – level 1
Napoleon Bonaparte was a French emperor. He lost a battle in 1813. He moved to Elba. Elba is a small island.
However, he came back to France. He came to power again. He was in power only for 100 days. We call this Hundred Days. His last battle was the Battle of Waterloo. He lost at Waterloo in 1815. Waterloo is a town in Belgium.
Now, it is the year of 2015. Waterloo happened 200 years ago. People remember the battle.
Napoleon liked hats. He wore black hats with two corners.
Difficult words: was (past of “is”), emperor (the most powerful person of a country), lost (past of “lose”), wore (past of “wear” – have on your body).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you interested in this history?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos