Two hundred years after the Battle of Waterloo – level 2
The French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte was defeated in battle 1813 and exiled to Elba – a small island in the Mediterranean. However, Napoleon escaped from the island and returned to power for a period which we now call the Hundred Days. His last battle was the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815.
People know Napoleon for wearing two-cornered hats. The one which he wore during the Battle of Waterloo is normally in a museum in Paris, but people recently sent it to Waterloo in Belgium. It will stay there for four months. One of the emperor’s uniforms was also sent to Waterloo ahead of the bicentenary commemorations.
Difficult words: emperor (the most powerful person of a country – similar to a king), exile (to be sent away from his country), bicentenary commemorations (remembering something that happened 200 years ago).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you interested in this history?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.