Two Indian women are harassed – level 3
Video footage taken on a crowded bus in India shows two women fighting off a group of men they’ve accused of sexually harassing them.
The clip taken by a passenger shows the women, who are sisters, shouting at three men and at point, one of the women hits a man with a belt.
The women said the harassment began before they boarded the bus and the men threatened them verbally demanding that the girls take their phone numbers, as they were waiting at a bus stop. But the harassment continued, as they boarded the bus and quickly escalated.
“They began touching us and made kissing gestures. When we told them to stop doing it, I was pushed. He then began hitting my sister and his two friends got hold of me. I realised I couldn’t reach my sister, so I took out my belt and began hitting him to help her. Then they backed off, and when the bus slowed down, they threw us off.”
The women made a complaint to the police who are now investigating the incident.
Difficult words: accuse (to say that somebody did something wrong), harass (to say and do unpleasant things to somebody and make him or her feel very uncomfortable), threaten (to say that you will hurt somebody if he or she won’t do what you want), demand (to ask firmly for something), take (to write down), escalate (when a problem gets worse), complaint (an official statement in which somebody complains about something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.