Two Million People Die from COVID-19 – level 2
The number of people who died from COVID-19 reached two million. Unfortunately, scientists do not expect the numbers to go down soon.
Some countries started to vaccinate people, but the process is slow, and in some countries, there is not any vaccine available. Therefore, it could be difficult to get the virus under control before summer. Scientists from the University of Washington said that the number of dead people could reach 2.89 million by the end of 2021.
Countries with the highest number of dead people are the US, Brazil, India, and Mexico. In the US, almost 390,000 people died from COVID-19 already. COVID-19 already killed more people than malaria and tuberculosis together in 2020.
Difficult words: available (ready for people to buy or use), malaria (a dangerous disease when a person gets sick after a small insect bites him), tuberculosis (a dangerous disease when sick people cannot breathe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos