Two Million People Die from COVID-19 – level 3
The world has hit a frightening COVID-19 threshold, with two million people dead and few expectations for the numbers to start dropping any time soon.
Vaccination is going slowly in the US, and in some parts of the world, it’s virtually non-existent. Therefore, the odds are slim of controlling the outbreak before the summer at the earliest. Overall, the US is leading all countries in deaths, with nearly 390,000 people, and the next countries in the line are Brazil, India and Mexico. COVID-19 has already killed more people than malaria and tuberculosis combined in the past year.
According to scientists from the University of Washington, fewer than one million people will die from COVID-19 this year. The latest analysis projects 2.89 million deaths worldwide by the end of 2021.
Difficult words: threshold (an important level or point at which something happens or changes), non-existent (something that doesn’t exist or that isn’t real), odds (the chances of something happening).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.