Two tornadoes – level 3
At least one person has died and 16 injured after a rare twin tornado ripped through northeast Nebraska.
The National Weather Service said two tornadoes touched down within a mile of each other, directly hitting the town of Pilger.
Local residents were evacuated after homes and buildings were stuck in the centre of one twister. Half the town was heavily damaged and several farming communities nearby have also been destroyed.
The tornadoes, part of a super-cell thunderstorm system, appeared to be class EF-2 or EF-3 twisters, meaning they packed cycling winds of up to 165 miles per hour (266 kilometres per hour).
“That is violent.
“Yeah, they’re both violent.”
“They’re merging! They’re going to merge!”
The Nebraska Governor has now declared a state of emergency and police have closed all roads around Pilger.
Difficult words: twin (double), rip (move and destroy things), twister (tornado), massive (huge), super-cell thunderstorm (very large and strong storm), merge (combine into something bigger).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.