Two years of COVID-19 – level 3
It’s been two years since patients in Wuhan, China, first began experiencing strange breathing problems. Nobody knew that it would be the start of a global illness which we now call COVID-19.
It was late in 2019 that the world first heard of a mysterious virus identified in China; however, health officials weren’t too concerned. The number of people sick around the world grew quickly, and in January 2020, there were sick people in the US and in Europe.
There were shortages for everything, and purchases of some things including toilet paper were limited. Then, fear and panic affected ordinary people and health care workers who thought they might get sick at work.
Leaders around the world tried to learn what to do to stop the spread of the disease, and hospitals quickly filled up. It was not clear how to test for the virus nor how to treat it, and the mortality rate was really high.
For two years, waves of the virus hit multiple peaks, with a big change in December 2020. At that time, scientists developed three vaccines, which was an amazing breakthrough in medical technology. Now, hospitals are experiencing yet another peak from mostly unvaccinated patients.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.