Typhoon in Japan – level 3
A powerful typhoon has brought many parts of Japan to a standstill.
Typhoon Phanfone battered Tokyo before heading out to sea, leaving at least one person dead.
Thousands of homes have lost power, and hundreds of flights have been suspended.
By late Sunday, the typhoon was off the coast of Shikoku in southwestern Japan with winds of up to 90 miles per hour (145 kph).
The storm triggered concern about possible landslides on the ash-covered volcano in central Japan that erupted last month, killing at least 51 hikers.
The search for a dozen of people missing in the eruption was suspended on Sunday because of the approaching storm.
The meteorlogical agency has predicted up to 16 inches (40 cm) of rain for central Japan by later this morning.
Difficult words: standstill (a situation in which there is no activity at all), batter (strike), suspend (stop), trigger (start), predict (say that something will happen in the future).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.