Typhoon in Philippines – level 2
On Tuesday, Typhoon Kammuri came to Philippines. It flooded streets and damaged many houses and power lines.
Officials closed the international airport in the capital city of Manila for 12 hours. They closed schools and evacuated hundreds of thousands of people from their homes.
The winds were very strong and reached the speed of more than 130 miles per hour, which destroyed roofs of homes and scattered debris.
Currently, the Southeast Asian Games are taking place in the Philippines. The organizers canceled or postponed several outdoor events because of the bad weather.
Difficult words: evacuate (to take people to a safe place during a dangerous event), scatter (to throw in many directions), debris (the broken things which remain after a disaster).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos