Typhoon Jebi – level 3
More than a million Japanese have been ordered to evacuate their homes as Typhoon Jebi approaches. It brings a160-kilometre-per-hour winds, and it is the strongest typhoon since 1993.
Airports and train stations have been forced to close because of incoming water. The runway at the Kansai International Airport was left flooded and the cargo storage submerged.
One of the most dramatic moments was when a tanker smashed into the side of a bridge.
Difficult words: approach (come), submerged (covered under water), smash (hit with a lot of force).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos