Typhoon Lekima – level 1
Zhejiang province is in China. Often, this province is hit with typhoons. A typhoon comes. It is the strongest typhoon in the history of this province. Its name is Lekima.
Winds blow up to 116miles per hour. There are floods. Almost 5 million people are in danger. More than 1 million people must leave their homes.
Forty-four or more people die. Many of them die in a landslide. Sixteen people are missing.
Difficult words: typhoon (a tropical storm), flood (big water), landslide (when a mass of mud/land moves and breaks things), be missing (when you are missing, nobody knows if you are OK and where you are).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.