Typhoon Lekima – level 2
On Saturday the 10th, Typhoon Lekima made land fall in China’s Zhejiang province. This province is often hit with typhoons, but this storm is its strongest ever.
The typhoon brought winds of up to 116mph, and floods affected almost 5 million people. More than 1 million evacuated from their homes. Twenty-five percent of the evacuations were from Shanghai, which is the biggest city in China.
More than 44 people died and 16 people were missing. Many of the victims died in a landslide.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.