Typhoon Lekima – level 3
On Saturday the 10th, Typhoon Lekima made land fall in China’s Zhejiang province, which is an area often hit with typhoons, but this one was one of the strongest storms in the province’s history.
The typhoon brought winds of up to 116mph. Floods affected almost 5 million people, and more than 1 million evacuated from their homes. A quarter of those evacuations were made in China’s biggest city of Shanghai.
More than 44 people died and 16 people were missing. Many of the victims died in a landslide.
Difficult words: make land fall (come to land), victim (a person who dies or gets hurt because something bad happens).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos