Typhoon Mangkhut – level 3
Mangkhut is one of the most powerful typhoons to hit Southeast Asia in decades. It caused landslides in two villages in the northern Philippine mountain province of Benguet.
Thirty-three people were confirmed dead and at least 29 people are still missing, according to local reports. Search and rescue missions continue among fears that the death toll could rise above 100.
The typhoon continued west, bringing winds of up to 160 kilometres per hour to China’s most populous Guangdong province. Streets were completely flooded, people advised to stay inside, and nearly half a million people evacuated from cities. A scaffolding was blown off a building in Hong Kong by the strong winds.
The typhoon is expected to weaken into a tropical depression (with winds below 62 kilometres per hour) as it moves inland.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.