U2 plays in Kyiv subway – level 2
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyi invited Bono and the Edge to Kyiv, the capital city. They are the singer and the leading guitarist of the Irish band U2.
The musicians performed at a subway stations; Ukrainians had used it as a bomb shelter. About 100 people watched the gig who were fans and soldiers. The musicians said that they didn’t agree with the war, and they wanted to show their support for Ukraine. They also said that young Russians probably knew about the real situation in Ukraine.
Russian soldiers tried to control the capital city, but they weren’t successful. At the end of March, they left Kyiv to fight in the east of Ukraine.
Difficult words: perform (to entertain people by dancing, singing, or playing music), bomb shelter (a place where people hide from bomb attacks), gig (a show for a musician or a band to play live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos