UAE bans the new Spider-Man movies – level 2
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) decided not to screen Sony’s movie ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse’ in its cinemas.
The UAE cinema chain, Vox Cinemas, announced the news without explaining why it would happen. The decision comes after discussions regarding the film’s portrayal of transgender themes. Other big cinema chains in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, and Bahrain also don’t have the movie listed in their upcoming releases.
The film started discussions because some people thought that one of the characters, Gwen Stacy, was transgender. In the Middle East, other than traditional sexual norms are taboo.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact does the absence of ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse’ from the Middle East cinemas have on the public discourse around transgender topics in this part of the world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.