UAE wind energy project – level 2
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) just revealed its first big wind energy project, led by renewable energy company Masdar.
This project can produce 103.5 megawatts of electricity, and it will provide energy for more than 23,000 homes every year in four different places. It will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by about 120,000 tons every year, which is like taking 26,000 cars off the road.
To achieve this, Masdar worked with PowerChina and GoldWind International to create special turbines which can work even when the wind is not very strong. The UAE is hosting the COP 28 climate summit and the country is getting serious about renewable energy, including nuclear and solar power.
Difficult words: reveal (to make something public), turbine (a machine which moves fast through water or air to produce power), renewable energy (energy which comes from the wind, sun, water, and so on).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How have UAE organizations worked together to provide the financial, technical and consulting resources needed for this renewable energy project?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.