UAE wind energy project – level 3
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has unveiled its first large-scale wind energy project, a 103.5-megawatt initiative by renewable energy firm Masdar.
This development is part of the UAE’s efforts to promote renewable energy ahead of hosting the COP 28 climate summit. The wind project will generate power for over 23,000 homes annually across four locations and is expected to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by about 120,000 tons yearly, equivalent to removing 26,000 cars from the roads.
Masdar collaborated with PowerChina and GoldWind International to design turbines capable of harnessing low wind speeds, thanks to advancements in materials science and aerodynamics. Notably, the UAE’s move toward renewable energy is complemented by its focus on nuclear and solar energy.
Difficult words: harness (to control and make use of, especially to produce energy), aerodynamics (the study of the properties of moving air and the interaction between the air and solid objects), complement (to help make something or someone more complete or effective).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What challenges did Masdar and its partners face in designing turbines to harness low wind speeds?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.