Uber in Rio – level 1
This news is from Rio de Janeiro. Taxi drivers protest there. They drive into the streets. There are hundreds of taxis in the streets. They do not move. They block the way. The taxi drivers protest against Uber.
The taxi drivers say that Uber is taking their jobs. They say it takes 60% of their work. They want Uber banned.
One man is a taxi driver for 36 years. Now, he cannot pay his housing bills. Soon, people will cut off his electricity.
This situation is not only in Brazil. Taxi drivers in other countries protest, too. Uber protects people’s right to choose who drives them.
Difficult words: ban (stop, make illegal), housing bills (paying for things like electricity and water), right (power).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos