Uganda anti-gay law – level 1
Yoweri Museveni is the president of Uganda. Recently, he signs a very strict law. This law is about LGBTQ people.
The law is one of the strictest in the world. It even says that some LGBTQ people get the death penalty. The law says that it will be possible to kill LGBTQ people.
Many countries are angry about this law. They want to punish Uganda. But it can be a problem for international help. This law may also make it harder for people with HIV to get help. These people may not get medicine.
Organizations and activists worry about LGBTQ people in Uganda. They are not safe and free anymore.
Difficult words: LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and other people), punish (to do something bad to someone because he does something bad first), activist (a person who actively fights for changes in politics or society).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the implications of President Museveni's law on LGBTQ people and HIV-positive individuals in Uganda?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.