UK and EU make a deal about Northern Ireland – level 3
Britain and the European Union have agreed on a set of changes to the Northern Ireland Protocol.
The Protocol dictates how the UK and EU trade with Northern Ireland, and it’s been causing problems for political and business leaders. European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen arrived in London where she met British prime minister Rishi Sunak.
The new deal follows the latest round of talks between the two leaders in Windsor, London. After the meeting, they unveiled three key elements of the so-called Windsor Framework. Green and Red lane trade routes for goods staying in the UK and those moving to the EU will be introduced. Drugs approved for use by the UK’s medicine regulator will be available automatically in every pharmacy and hospital in Northern Ireland. UK VAT and excise changes will apply in Northern Ireland.
Difficult words: dictate (to order), VAT (a value-added tax that’s assessed on the value added to goods and services), excise (a tax on some types of goods produced and used within a country, typically alcohol or cigarettes).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think are the main benefits to Northern Ireland from the changes in the Protocol?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.