UK au pair industry – level 1
Au pair is a young person, usually a woman. She comes from a foreign country. She helps with housework or childcare. She gets food, a room, and some money for her help.
Before Brexit, au pairs are good. There are many au pairs in the UK. They also learn languages and see new cultures. But Brexit has a big impact on au pairs. Au pair business goes down by 95%. Rules for European people are stricter now. So, families have fewer choices. Women work less because nurseries cost a lot of money.
Before Brexit, there are 90,000 au pairs. Many come from Europe. Now, only a few people can be au pairs.
Difficult words: rule (what someone must or must not do), choice (what someone can choose), nursery (a place where young children and babies stay and someone looks after them while their parents are at work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What were the main challenges that au pairs previously faced before Brexit?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.