UK farmers have problems – level 1
Farmers in the UK have big problems. Energy is too expensive. They can’t grow vegetables.
One farmer grows cucumbers in England. He delivers cucumbers to the biggest UK supermarkets. Now his greenhouses are empty. He doesn’t have money for gas. It is too cold for his cucumbers.
Last year, it costs 25 pence to grow one cucumber. This year, the price doubles. Experts say that the price can be even 70 pence for one cucumber.
Other farmers have problems, too. For example, they grow peppers or tomatoes. Prices are getting higher for them. It happens because workers get more money. Another reason is that fertilizer is more expensive.
Difficult words: greenhouse (a glass building where farmers grow plants), double (to become twice as much or many), fertilizer (a thing which farmers put in the ground, and it makes plants grow better).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.