UK is leaving the EU – level 3
“This means that the UK has voted to leave the European Union.
As Chief Counting Officer for the referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union, held on the 23rd June 2016, I hereby give notice that I have certified the following:
The total number of ballot papers counted was 33,577,342. The total number of votes cast in favour of remain was 16,141,241. The total number of votes cast in favour of leave was 17,410,742.”
Difficult words: chief (most important), hereby (as a result of this document or utterance – statement), give notice (say something officially), certify (say officially), ballot paper (a slip of paper used to register a vote), cast (submit, hand in, turn in).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos