UK public alert system – level 2
On Sunday 23rd April at 3 pm, millions of mobile phones in the UK will make a loud sound and vibrate as part of a test for a new public alert system which the government created.
The purpose of this system is to be used in emergencies like floods and wildfires. The sound will be similar to a normal incoming call, but it will last for 10 seconds and will sound like a siren. Only people with 4G and 5G mobile phones will receive the message, sound, and vibration. The timing of this test happens during important events like the London marathon and two Premier League football matches. Some people worry that the alert could distract drivers and also reveal the location of secret phones which some people at risk use to protect themselves.
Difficult words: emergency (a dangerous situation), siren (a device which makes a loud noise in case of danger), alert (quick warning of danger or problem).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential risks that could arise from this public alert system?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos