Ukraine’s New President – level 3
Political newcomer Volodymyr Zelenskiy won in the Ukrainian presidential elections, garnering 73 per cent of the final vote to Petro Poroshenko’s 24 per cent.
Before Zelenskiy entered politics, he was an actor best known for playing the country’s fictional president on a popular TV series. His TV character won the office accidentally after he went on an extremely popular anti-corruption rant.
Zelenskiy leveraged his popularity from the show, and he ran a real-life political campaign focused on fighting corruption. Poroshenko’s campaign, on the other hand, was strongly anti-Russian and nationalistic. The new president is not pro-Russian, but Poroshenko argued that he has no experience, so it will be easy for Russia to manipulate him.
Russia said that there may be an improvement of relations between Ukraine and Russia, although Putin’s office says that it is still too early to talk about cooperation. Regardless, Ukraine’s parliament is dominated by Poroshenko’s supporters, and elections are not scheduled to happen until October, so Zelenskiy probably cannot do much right away.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.