Ukrainian Church Change – level 3
Last Saturday, the Orthodox Church of Ukraine became independent. The church split from Russia after more than three centuries under its control.
A decree of independence officially confirmed the split in Istanbul. The Russian Orthodox Church lost about a fifth of its nearly 150 million members.
Due to recent tensions between Ukraine and Russia, the split became a political issue, as well. According to one British newspaper, Ukraine believes that Russia backed churches in Ukraine to spread propaganda and support anti-Ukrainian fighters.
Difficult words: split (dividing), decree (an official document), due to (because of), back (support, help), spread (send to many places).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos