Unlimited vacation – level 1
Unlimited vacation means that people can take as much time off work as they want. In the US, about 6% of companies offer unlimited vacation.
These days, many people want to be flexible. They like to change plans easily. Companies know that. Unlimited vacation is a way how to keep employees. It also shows that companies believe in their employees. But unlimited vacation is not as great as it seems.
Some employees can abuse the situation. It means that they will be often out of the office. Their colleagues will have to work more. Also, in summer or winter, too many people can be on vacation. It can have an impact on the company’s productivity.
Difficult words: time off (the time when a person is not at work), abuse (to use in a wrong way), productivity (how much business a company does).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures can companies take to ensure that employees don't abuse unlimited vacation and it doesn't have a negative impact on the company's productivity?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos