Unlimited vacation – level 2
Some US companies are starting to offer unlimited vacation. It means that employees can take as much time off as they need.
These days, more and more employees want flexibility at work, so unlimited vacation sounds great. Companies believe that it will stop employees from leaving. It also shows that a company trusts its people that they won’t abuse the policy. But there are disadvantages, too.
If some employees abuse the system, it will mean more work for their colleagues. In summer or winter, it could also mean that too many people will have a vacation, and productivity will go down.
Currently, around 6% of US companies offer unlimited vacation, including Microsoft and Goldman Sachs.
Difficult words: abuse (to use in a wrong way), policy (a set of ideas or a plan for action of a business or organization), disadvantage (a condition or situation which causes problems).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How do you think the introduction of unlimited vacation will affect company culture and performance?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos