Unusual Cards – level 1
Indy Mellink lives in the Netherlands. She is 23 years old. She is a designer. She studies psychology. Last summer, she plays cards with her cousin. She looks at the cards. A king, queen, and jack are on the cards.
Mellink starts to think about the pictures. A king is more important than a queen in cards. Mellink does not like it. She believes that men are always more important than women. She wants to change it. She makes unusual cards. A king, queen and jack are not on the cards. There are gold, silver and bronze bars.
Mellink sells her cards on the Internet. Around 1,500 people buy them. Some people do not like the cards. They do not see a problem with traditional cards.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.