Unusual Cards – level 3
A 23-year-old Dutch psychology student and designer has created a gender-neutral card deck in which the images of a king, queen, and jack are replaced with gold, silver and bronze bars.
After noticing that card decks value kings more than queens, Indy Mellink decided that it was time to break with the centuries-old tradition of sexual inequality in playing card decks that rank men above women. Mellink hopes to raise awareness about sexual inequalities and how that influences people in their daily lives.
Mellink has been testing the cards out on players who said that they had never been aware of this issue before. Mellink has sold around 1,500 packs; however, some Dutch card players are skeptical about her creation. Hans Kelder from the Dutch Bridge Association said that he had been playing bridge for 36 years, and he never heard that a woman or a jack would feel undervalued.
Difficult words: gender-neutral (something that is not associated with either men or women), sexual inequality (a social or cultural situation in which men and women are treated differently), skeptical (doubting that something is true or useful).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.