US abortion law – level 2
The US Supreme Court postponed a temporary block on limits to the abortion pill Mifepristone.
Lower courts set the limits, but the Supreme Court wanted to give the judges more time to consider requests to block the restrictions. The drug’s manufacturer, Danco Laboratories, and the Biden administration want the court to stop an order issued by a lower court in Texas on April 7. This order would restrict the availability of the drug while the court sorts out the case. Biden’s administration wants to defend Mifepristone against abortion bans and restrictions from Republican-led states since 1973.
Mifepristone is often combined with another drug, Misoprostol, to perform medication abortions, which make up more than half of all abortions in the US.
Difficult words: temporary (something that lasts only for some time), abortion pill (a drug which ends an early pregnancy), availability (the possibility to buy or have something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the implications of the US Supreme Court's decision to postpone a temporary block on limits to the abortion pill Mifepristone?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos