US abortion rights – level 3
After last Monday, US abortion rights advocates said demand and donations spiked because the news reported that the Supreme Court may overturn Roe Vs. Wade.
The 1973 court case legalized abortion in the US; it caused a lot arguments. Politicians and lawmakers have attacked it for years.
Prior to Monday, many US states limited abortions; people expect these states will ban abortions if Roe Vs. Wade is overturned. Then, other states will decide if they will allow the procedure.
One organization said it received over $130 thousand in donations. The organization gives money to abortion clinics to help women with the cost of abortions. Another organization also reported an increase in appointments since Monday. It gets abortion pills from a company called Aid Access.
Abortion pills are an alternate option instead of the medical procedure; now they are very common in the US. Aid Access works with US and foreign doctors and pharmacies to get medications, and the US government cannot fully police its work with foreign countries.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.