US and Central America – level 2
The US helps Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, but then the US stops. The US says that the countries do not stop illegal immigration to the US.
However, a new deal is going to start. The US makes deals with the countries because it wants to help with law and security. The US Secretary of State also wants to help local business. Donald Trump does not say how much this help costs, but a source says that it is about $143 million dollars.
Kevin McAleenan is the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, and he proposes the plan for help. He wants to resign at the end of October.
Difficult words: source (a person who gives some information to media), propose (create a plan and present it to others), resign (finish a job officially).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos