US companies to make chips – level 2
In August last year, the US government passed a law which will support tech companies.
The CHIPS Act will provide subsidies of 39 billion dollars, and the aim is to keep the US ahead of China. But there are some rules, which the companies applying for a subsidy will have to keep. They will have to share their profit, and they will have to provide childcare to their employees.
Some companies already announced more than 40 new projects which will increase US production. Many people hope that the US will become a leader in the semiconductor business and that the country will become independent of chips from Taiwan.
Difficult words: subsidy (money which a government pays to help an industry or business), aim (what someone wants to achieve), semiconductor (a material which is part of computers and other electronic devices).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that the CHIPS Act will be successful in supporting the US tech industry? Why or why not?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.