US Government Shutdown – level 2
The US partial government shutdown has gone 22 days, making it the longest shutdown ever. Previously, the longest US shutdown was 21 days.
President Trump and the Democrats are stuck overbuilding a wall between the US and Mexico. President Trump wants $5.7 billion to build over 200 miles of a wall or a fence.
The Democrats think that money for a wall will not fix the border problems. One Democrat said that there were other ways to make the border safer.
The long government shutdown means that around 800,000 government workers are furloughed or are working without pay.
Difficult words: government shutdown (when less important parts of the government close because leaders cannot agree on the budget for the country for the upcoming year), furlough (when someone cannot go to work because the work is shutdown).
)You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.