US hospitals are suing patients – level 2
Some US patients don’t pay hospital bills and hospitals are suing them.
This trend started in the 80s. Lawyers pursue debtors on behalf of medical providers. As a result, patients face court proceedings, wage garnishment, and even taking properties. Wisconsin stands out with tens of thousands of cases. On the other hand, Maryland changed legislation and there were no cases in 2023.
Healthcare providers are upset about the situation. There were some good changes since 2019, with fewer cases reported, but many patients are still having big money problems.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures have been taken to address the issue of patients not paying hospital bills in the United States, particularly in states like Wisconsin and Maryland? Are there any other states that have implemented similar legislation to reduce the number of court cases and financial struggles faced by patients?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.