US hospitals need blood – level 2
The American Red Cross has officially declared a national emergency. US hospitals desperately need more blood.
In the last twenty years, there was a 40% decline in the number of people who donate blood. This could mean delays in surgeries and even risks to lives. The situation is even more serious in winter when many people have respiratory problems. The Red Cross motivates people to donate blood by offering a chance to win Super Bowl tickets.
The people who are the most affected are cancer patients and children. If you want to donate blood, please visit the Red Cross website.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some groups of people who are most in need of blood donations, and what motivation is the Red Cross offering to encourage people to donate?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.