US hospitals need blood – level 3
The American Red Cross has declared a national emergency due to a critically low blood supply, the lowest in 20 years, with a 40% drop in donors.
This shortage could lead to delayed medical procedures and risks to lives. Winter weather and respiratory viruses may worsen the situation. To encourage blood donations, the Red Cross is offering a chance to win Super Bowl tickets. Rodney Wilson, a senior biomedical communications specialist at the Red Cross, emphasizes the importance of donating, highlighting benefits such as tracking your donation’s impact. The FDA’s updated guidelines allow more inclusivity for gay and bisexual men to donate.
The vulnerable groups in need include cancer patients and children undergoing treatments. Eligibility criteria for blood donation are discussed, and information can be found on the Red Cross website.
Difficult words: donor (a person who donates something), inclusivity (including a wide variety of people or groups), eligibility criteria (the requirements that must be met for a person to be included in a study or program).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What steps is the American Red Cross taking to combat the critically low blood supply?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.