US Kills Two Prisoners – level 1
In some US states, it is possible to execute a prisoner. Execute means that officials kill this person. A state court must decide about this.
Sometimes, a federal court decides. A federal court follows US national laws. Sometimes, a federal court decides to execute a prisoner. However, it does not happen often. The last time it happens almost 20 years ago.
This week, it happens twice. Officials execute two prisoners. One prisoner kills a girl in 1998. The girl is 16 years old. She lives in Kansas City.
The man´s lawyer try to stop the process. The man is not healthy. However, the court does not agree. Before his death, the man apologizes to the girl´s family. He apologizes to his own daughter, too.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.